Danish and Norwegian Set-up
We turn to the Campaign for Norway Allied OB on p. 4 of the SoS Orders of Battle (OB) booklet for the Apr I 40 set-up instructions of these two Scandinavian neutrals.
The Danish 1-8 Bdr III PF is placed at the rail line border hex 13A:1021. On the Danish isle of Sjaelland, at Kjobenhavn (13A:1113) are placed the Danish air force (eg., the Gaunt F type and the C.V A type air units), the 1-2-6 Inf III 1 Sja/LG, the 0-1-8 Lt AA III 1, the 2-pt CD TF (1 hit) N. Juel, and the Danish government capital marker. The full city hex also contains a 1 strength level intrinsic CD. Per Rule 41A-Initial Deployment the Danish factory counter is placed at Kjobenhavn. Per the SoS Allied OB for the scenario, the 1-2-6 Inf III 1 Jyl/2SF is placed at Haderslev (13A:0920), guarding the eastern portion of the southern neck of the Danish peninsula.
Perhaps important for the Danish at start set-up (at Neutrality Watch), the “fort marker in coastal hex” with an intrinsic CD level of 1 (see the Danish Coast Defenses Chart on p. 59 of the SoS OB booklet) is placed in this game at the point city/minor port of Korsar at 13A:1016, located on the west coast of the isle of Sjaelland. I believe this completes the at start Danish set-up.
Up in neutral Norway (at Partial Mobilization) at partial city hex Oslo (10B:4007) are the 0-1-6 Inf II 2/HMKG, the C.V A type air unit, the 2-pt CF TF (1 hit) Norge, the Norwegian government capital marker, and also the perhaps important optional placement “fort marker in coastal hex” with an intrinsic CD level of 1 (see p. 59 of the SoS OB booklet). The Norwegian factory counter is placed at hex 10B:3606 per Rule 41A-Initial Deployment; this is four hexes NE of Oslo. The rest of the at start Norwegian set-up is found on p. 4 of the SoS Allied OB for the Campaign for Norway scenario.
Per the Grand Europa Norway, 1939-1940 OB, it appears that Norway receives 1 ARP on its May I 40 air cycle (see p. 31). At General Mobilization +0 (eg., on the Apr I 40 Allied game turn in the Campaign for Norway scenario) Norway evidently receives 3 NTPs at “any friendly-owned major ports in Southern Norway or Central Norway” (see p. 32). Per the Coast Defense Chart additional intrinsic CD hexes appear or are added on to existing CD strength points on the Apr I 40 Allied turn in both Norway and Denmark. Check the GE Norway, 1939-1940 OB for further information regarding production, mobilization, and possible conditional reinforcements.
German at Set-up
(with first turn infantry and mountain XX breakdown information):
Rostock (13A:1717): dot city/standard port clear terrain coast hex:
- 1 x ME 109E F type air unit.
Kiel (13A:1421): partial city/major port clear terrain coast hex:
- 1 x 6-6 wint Inf XX 163 (breaks down to wint E Inf XX HQ unit and unsupported inf III breakdowns)
- 1 x 6-6 wint Inf XX 181 (breaks down to wint F Inf XX HQ unit and unsupported inf III breakdowns)
- 1 x 6-6 wint Inf XX 196 (breaks down to wint G Inf XX HQ unit and unsupported inf III breakdowns)
- 2 x Me 110C1 F type air units
- 2 x He 111P4 B type air unit
- 1 x He 111H1 NB type air unit
- 1 x He 111H4 B type air unit
- 1 x 3-pt B TF Schlesien
- 1 x 3-pt BP TF Lutzow
- 1 x 3-pt CA TF Blucher
- 5 pts naval transport
- 1 mine point
- 1 resource point; arrives in the Initial Phase
- 4 inf RPs; arrive in the Initial Phase.
Flensburg (13A:1121) reference city clear terrain coast rail border hex:
- 1 x 6-6 Inf XX 170 (breaks down to D Inf XX’s supported inf IIIs)
- 1 x 6-6 wint Inf XX 198
- 1 x 6-6 Inf XX 214
- 1 x 3-10 Mot Inf X 11
- 1 x 2-10 LW Hvy AA III 162
- 1 x 2-1-10 Pz II 40
- 1 x 1-8 Art X 109
- 1 x Ju 87R D type air unit.
Schleswig (13A:1221) point city clear terrain rail hex:
- 1 x 0-1-5 Const III 6
- 2 x 1-5 Para II I/1 and II/1
- 2 x 1-10 Mot MG II 13 and 14
- 1 x LW Mot Inf II GG.
Clear terrain border hex 13A:1022:
- 1 x 1-10 Mot MG II 4.
Northern Germany holding box:
- 7-6 Inf XX 69 (breaks down to C Inf XX HQ unit and unsupported inf III breakdowns)
- [reorganized/stripped down] 5-8* Mtn XX 3 (breaks down to A Mtn XX’s supported mtn IIIs)
- 1 x 7-8 Mtn XX 2 (breaks down to B Mtn XX HQ unit and unsupported mtn IIIs)
- 1 x 1-10 Mot Hvy AA II I/132
- 1 x 0-8 Lt AA II II/33 and pos flk unit (from stripped down 1-10 Mot Hvy AA II II/33)
- 10 x Ju 52 T type air units
- 2 x Ju 88A1 B (code S) type air units
- 2 x He 111H4 B (code S) type air units
- 1 x He 111H4 B type air unit
- 1 x He 111P4 B type air unit
- 1 x He 111P1 B type air unit
- 1 x Mxd T (LR) T type air unit
- 2 x 4-pt BC TF Gneisenau, Schrnhrst
- 1 x 3-pt CA FT A. Hipper
- 1 x 3-pt CL TF Cruiser-1
- 2 x 3-pt DD TF Flotilla-1, Flotilla-2
- 1 pt naval transport
- 3 mine points
- 1 resource point; arrives in the initial phase.
Sylt holding box:
- 0-8 Lt AA II I/611 and pos flk unit (from stripped down 1-10 Mot Hvy AA II I/611)
- [at start] pos flk unit
- 1 x Mixed T (F) T type (code F) air unit
- 1 x He115B B type (code SF) air unit.