Iraqi Coup force and Axis Iraq intervention force dispositions [at the turn’s start]:
In the Central Iraq region [all Coup Iraq units are in supply via overland trace to Baghdad]:
Iraq capital marker
1 x 1-2-6 Inf XX 3
1 x 1-6* Inf XX 2
1 x 0-1-6* Inf XX 4
1 x Mxd 1A2 1/8
21A:4704: [East of the Tigris River, 3 hexes NNE of Baghdad, clear terrain hex]:
1 x 1-6* Inf XX 1
22A:2822 [swamp hex, 3 hexes E of Baghdad]:
1 x 1-0-8 Lt Arm X 1
In the Northern Iraq region:
Mosul (21A:3509) [dot city]:
1 x Mxd 2A3 1-1/16 (LW)
- Technically, becomes Red U-2 this turn per Rules 23I & 12C, but is in general supply via the gsp’s in the Mosul hex.
1 x Ju 52 1T2 0/20 (LW)
- At the beginning of the Allied movement phase the Axis player announces his LW Ju 52 1T2 type air unit at Mosul is conducting a non-phasing extended range air transfer mission back to the 3-cap permanent airfield at the Rodi point city/standard port hex (20A:2230) on the Aegean Sea zone island of Rodi. Note that the LW Ju 52 T type air unit at Mosul must be in general supply via the gsp’s in the Mosul hex in order to do the extended range air mission, per Rule 23I.
2 gsp’s generated in the May II 41 Axis initial phase
- In the initial phase the two Axis LW air units are in general supply via the 2 gsp’s at Mosul.
Allied movement, end of turn dispositions, and commentary:
In the Central Iraq region:
- In the initial phase the Br Glad 3F3 type air unit based at the Habbaniya (22A:2828) airfield flies the CAP mission over the Iraqi 1-0-8 Lt Arm X 1 unit at swamp hex 22A:2822, 6 hexes away.
22A:2725 [canal intensive secondary rail hex NE of Baghdad; at the turn’s start]:
1 x 2-1-10* Mot Inf X Hab
- This unit becomes Red U-1 in the initial phase.
- At the end of the movement phase this unit spends 5 MPs regular moving to clear terrain hex 22A:2823, W of and adjacent to the Iraqi 1-0-8 Lt Arm X in swamp hex 22A:2822.
- In the combat phase the Iraqi Mxd 2A3 type air unit based at Baghdad flies the DAS mission to hex 22A:2822, three hexes away. Here it is intercepted by the Glad 3F3 type air unit flying the CAP mission over the hex. Following the air op sequence in Rule 16D, air combat is resolved between the two units. The Glad air unit rolls a 4 on the +1 column (no modifiers) for a Kill; theIraqi Mxd air unit rolls a 7:-.
- Seeing that the Iraqi air unit flying the DAS mission is eliminated in air combat, the Allied phasing player need not initiate a GS mission air op, done subsequent to the non-phasing DAS mission air op. Consequently, the Br 2-1-10* Mot Inf X is able to attack the 0 strength Iraqiground unit with a quartered attack factor of .5, the quartering due to being U-1 (Rule12E2) and not in attack supply. Per Rule 9A-[Combat] Procedure, at 5) it says “If…the total defense strength is 0, the combat immediately ends with an automatic DE result.” But the Allied c/m unit does not move into the swamp hex after combat.
- In the exploitation phase the 2-1-10* Mot Inf X Hab spends 5 MPs exploiting to canal intensive hex 22A:2925, SE of Baghdad and still E of the Tigris River.
22A:2926 [canal intensive major rail/secondary rail nexus SW of Baghdad; end of turn]:
1 x 0-1-4 Static II 2As (Col) [regular moves north 3 hexes from 22A:3234]
22A:2826 [clear terrain road hex W of Baghdad; end of turn]:
1 x 8* Inf XX HQ 10 (Ind) [regular moves from 22A:3234]
1 x 0-1-4 Static II 1 As (Col) [regular moves two hexes from Habbaniya (22A:2828)]
22A:2726 [clear terrain hex NW of Baghdad; end of turn]:
1 x 1-8 Inf X 20 (Ind) [regular moves from Habbaniya]
22A:2725 [canal intensive secondary rail line hex NE of Baghdad; end of turn]:
1 x 2-8 Inf X 21 (Ind) [regular moved from 22A:2927]
Habbaniya (22A:2828) [end of turn]:
3-cap permanent air field
1 x 2-8 Inf X 24 (Ind)
- This Coup Turn 5/Jun I 41 Allied turn Iraqi Coup Reaction Forces Conditional Reinforcement disembarks at Basra (22A:4313) and is air transported to the Habaniya airfield by the Bombay air unit, which stages from Nasiriya (22A:3919).
1 x Glad 3F3 0/8 [inoperative]
- This air unit returns to base here after flying the CAP mission and doing air combat over the 22A:2822 swamp hex.
1 x Bombay 1T2 1-2/15 [inoperative]
- In the movement phase air transports the Ind 2-8 Inf X 24 to here from Basra, after staging to there from Nasiriya (22A:3919).
1 x Audax 1A1 1/8 [never moved]
1 cap permanent airstrip [Allied controlled]
In the Southern Iraq region:
Allied Conditional Reinforcements
Iraqi Coup Reaction Forces
Coup Turn 5/Jun I 41 Allied Turn
2 x 2-8 Inf X 24, 25 (Ind)
- The Ind 2-8 Inf X 24 disembarks at Basra (22A:4313) and is air transported by the Bombay 1T2 type air unit to the Habbaniya airfield hex (22A:2828).
- The Ind 2-8 Inf X 25 disembarks at Basra and then admin moves north 12 hexes up the secondary rail line and ends the turn at canal intensive secondary rail hex 22A:3822
22A:3524 [canal intensive secondary rail hex; end of turn]:
one step of attack supply
- Expends 5 SMPs moving up the secondary rail line from 22A:4021.
Basra (22A:4313) [dot city/major port]:
Allied standard Supply Terminal marker
one step of attack supply [never moved]
3-cap permanent airfield [Allied controlled]
At the end of the turn, on the WitD Neutrals Game Chart:
Iraqi Replacement Pool:
1 x 1-0-8 Lt Arm X 1
Eliminated Air Units:
1 x Mxd 1A2 1/8
Commentary: The Allied player is relieved that the Iraqi 1-0-10 Lt Arm X 1 has finally been eliminated. In his May II 41 player turn the Axis player nearly placed the Iraqi c/m unit at 21A:4402, and now wonders if he should have kept to that move, and not done the last minute change to swamp hex 22A:2822. Almost frantically, the Allied player starts encircling the defiant Coup Iraq capital of Baghdad, seeking to find an end to the Iraqi campaign.