…gnaweth at my posessions, just as it eats everything else. We had some water damage in the cellar, a broken pipe leaking directly into the box with my Europa-games carefully propped up on plastic boxes to protect it from water on the floor. When I came into the basement and noticed, the whole box was mouldy and most of my Europa-games are now a soggy slush of paper. And so it goes.
The insurance will cover the damage, thereby relieveing me from my new years resolution on selling them all on Ebay.
So, a little bit of Second Front may be salvageable, and so might be some maps and rules here and there, but most of my Europa is gone – making me realize again I didnt play those games actively in over a decade now. And since there are a lot and more personal pages now hosting game reports – wordpress enabling mortals to throw up a reasonably well-looking page in some hours – I think the Generalstab slowly ceases to be relevant and useful. I wont take the site down just yet, but dont expect a lot of updates coming. I might publish some more of Eric Pierce OBs – if I get his permission – and clean up the archive (in which some game reports are still a mess), but I dont have any bigger plans anymore. Which is not a bad thing itself, I will concentrate (yet again) on the military database. Maybe one day I can show you :)
Only a short note today – small updates to the Glossary (a recent discussion of the Popofski maneuver made me finally fill out that article, and I´ve also added a small paragraph on AT guns, even though most other unit types are lacking any description. Additionally, Todd allowed us to publish his two newest posts on the DJ05-game report. Enjoy!
It might be nothing that gets most of you exited, but behind the scenes I have worked for the better part of two years to finally transfer the Generalstab Archives into a WordPress-driven website. The initial migration was easy, except that every single post still needed to be cleansed of PHP remnants, reformatted and categorized. The work still isn`t done, as a quick look into the archive section will tell, but frankly, I was not willing to wait any longer with going public. So here is the biggest Generalstab update since 2012:
- The home-brewn PHP-based, hand-coded pages have been transferred into a WordPress CMS
- A complete new section containing all Europa-games ever published has been added, with scans and pictures of charts, maps, and boxes where available. (Note to the concerned reader: We have taken great care that the resolution of the images makes them readable, but is low enough to rule out any copyright violation.) Oh, and did I mention that we also added covers of all TEM magazines ever published, and of course the Glory and Great War-Series, too?
- A nice responsive template that leaves lots of room for the relevant stuff, which in this case is: text.
- Several new game reports, one of them being Greg Bartels description of his experiences with the Iraq Campaign Scenario from War in the Desert
- Maps and other images from the public domain added to the essay section
We are looking forward to your feedback.
The Generalstab Archive lives by the contributions of the community, and we take great care to make sure we have permission for every single piece we publish. However, if you find anything you think is yours, or shouldnt be online, please drop us a line and let us know, and we will take the incriminated content offline immediately.