Iraqi Coup force and Axis Iraq intervention force dispositions [at turn’s start]:
In the Central Iraq region:
1 x 1-2-6 Inf XX 3
1 x 1-6* Inf XX 2
1 x 0-1-6* Inf XX 4
1 x Mxd 1A2 1/8 [operative]
Baqubah (21A:4802) [reference city canal intensive canal intensive secondary rail junction hex]:
1 x 1-6* Inf XX 1
- Still Black-U-1 this Allied initial phase. Unable to trace to a general supply source.
In the Northern Iraq region:
1 x Mxd 2A3 1-1/16 (LW)
- Technically becomes Red U-3 this turn, but is determined to be in general supply in the Allied initial phase via the gsp’s in the Mosul hex.
1 x Ju 52 1T2 0/20 (LW)
- Technically becomes Red U-1 this turn, but is determined to be in general supply in the Allied initial phase via one of the two gsp’s in the Mosul hex.
- At the beginning of the Allied movement phase the LW Ju 52 1T2 type air unit at Mosul does a non-phasing air transfer mission back to the 3-cap permanent airfield at the Rodi point city/standard port hex (20A:2230) on the South Aegean island of Rodi.
2 gsp’s generated in the May II 41 Axis initial phase. Here at the start of the turn.
Allied movement, end of turn dispositions, and commentary:
In the Central Iraq region:
1-cap permanent airstrip [Allied controlled]
Habbaniya (22A:2828) [end of turn]:
1 x 1-8 Inf X 17 (Ind)
- This Coup Turn 6/Jun II 41 Allied turn Iraqi Coup Reaction Forces Conditional Reinforcement disembarks at Basra (22A:4313) and is air transported to the Habbaniya airfield by the Bombay air unit, which stages from Nasiriya (22A:3919).
1 x Glad 3F3 0/8 [never moved]
1 x Audax 1A1 1/8 [never moved]
1 x Bombay 1T2 1-2/15
- In the movement phase the Bombay T type air unit air transports the Ind 1-8 Inf X 17 to here from Basra, after staging to there from Nasiriya.
Hindiya (22A:3025) [point city canal intensive secondary rail line hex; end of turn]:
1 x 2-8 Inf X 25 (Ind) [regular moved from 22A:3822]
one step of attack supply [moved 5 hexes using smp’s from 22A:3524]
22A:2926 [canal intensive major rail/secondary rail nexus hex SW of Baghdad; end of turn]:
1 x 0-1-4 Static II 2 As (Col) [never moved]
22A:2826 [clear terrain road/major rail line junction hex W of Baghdad; end of turn]:
1 x 0-1-4 Static II 1 As (Col) [never moved]
22A:2726 [clear terrain hex NW of Baghdad; end of turn]:
1 x 8* Inf XX HQ 10 (Ind) [regular moved from 22A:2926]
1 x 1-6 Inf X 20 (Ind) [regular moved from 22A:2926]
22A:2725 [canal intensive secondary rail line hex E of the Tigris River; NE of Baghdad; end of turn]:
1 x 2-8 Inf X 24 (Ind) [regular moved from Habbaniya (22A:2828)]
22A:2824 [clear terrain secondary rail line hex E of Baghdad; end of turn]:
1 x 2-8 Inf X 21 (Ind) [regular moved from 22A:2725]
In the Northern Iraq Region [end of turn; the Allied unit is in general supply]:
Erbil (21A:3605) [point city road/secondary rail line terminus hex; end of exploitation]:
1 x 2-1-10* Mot Inf X Hab
- This c/m unit begins the turn adjacent to Baghdad at 22A: 2726, to the NW. It first breaks away from the siege of Baghdad and moves NW mainly along the major rail line, but capturing all the rail line hexes along the way. By the end of the movement phase it is at major rail line hex 21A:4109.
- In the exploitation phase it follows the major rail line hexes to Mosul (21A:3509), enters and captures the dot city hex (destroying the 2 Axis gsp’s left there), and then veers eastwards along the road hexes to Erbil (21A:3605), where it ends its exploitation move.
End of movement phase Axis air unit activity:
- Seeing that the Allied player is rapidly advancing towards Mosul with his Habbforce c/m X unit in the movement phase, the Axis player takes no chances and promptly does a non-phasing air transfer mission of the LW Mxd 2A3 1-1/16 air unit based (operative) at Mosul back to the 3-cap permanent airfield at the Rodi point city/standard port hex (20A:2230) on the South Aegean island of Rodi.
In the Southern Iraq region:
Allied Conditional Reinforcements
Iraqi Coup Reaction Forces
Coup Turn 6/Jun II 41 Allied Turn
1 x 1-8 Inf X 17 (Ind)
This Conditional Reinforcement disembarks at Basra (22A:4313) and then is air transported to the Habbaniya airfield (22A:2828) by the Bombay T type air unit, staging from Nasiriya (22A:3919).
F. Watson’s “Iraq” Europa Battle Scenario Allied OB shows two steps of attack supply arriving via the Persian Gulf this turn at Basra, along with the Ind 1-8 Inf X 17 Conditional Reinforcement. I’m not sure if this is an errata correction to the WitD Allied OB Iraqi Coup Reaction Forces Conditional Reinforcements OB found on p. 5, or if he is simply sea transporting them to Basra via the Indian Ocean (using East Med/Indian Ocean NTP’s) from the Middle East Command’s presumably available and ready quantity of attack supply found on the Western Desert map group specially for his “Iraq” battle scenario, in case they’re needed there for late game play action. In any event, for now I’m “provisionally” bringing Watson’s 2 steps of attack supply into the special WW ME/“Iraq Campaign” Scenario demonstration, although I reserve the right to change my mind later and pull them out, if new information comes forth implying maybe they should be removed.
Basra (22A:4313) [dot city/major port]:
Allied standard Supply Terminal marker
three steps of attack supply
One attack step never moved, being a Coup Turn 3/May I 41 Allied Turn Conditional Reinforcement arrival. The other two attack steps are per Watson’s “Iraq” Europa battle scenario Allied OB arrivals for this turn; upon arrival at Basra they disembark in the hex.
3-cap permanent airfield [Allied controlled]
In Palestine [end of turn]:
Haifa (20A:4710) [dot city/major port w/ artificial harbor]:
1 x Well 1C 3NB4 2-9/28
- This is the “strategic air reserve” of the prolonged Iraq campaign. This turn it does the GS air mission in the Syrian campaign; but if needed in Iraq it’s available, due to its long range, at least for GS air missions. It stays at Haifia for a possible DAS mission next turn in the Levant.
End of turn Axis/German Intervention air unit dispositions:
Rodi (20A:2230) [point city/standard port; on the South Aegean island of Rodi; end of turn]:
1 x Ju 52 1T2 0/20 (LW) [inoperative]
1 x Mxd 2A3 1-1/16 (LW) [inoperative]